One of the things I hear a lot is people saying they have forgotten about a submission they made, or can’t remember if they have submitted to a publication before or not. Along my writing journey I have put together this tracker to help me manage this. It’s really straight forward with plenty of drop downs and added formulas so you don’t have a lot to add in. I found this approach really useful and I would love for people to try it out and give me feedback. If there are extra things you would like to record or you would like more options in a drop down list I can add these in and upload again.
What is included
- Date of submission
- Genre of the piece i.e. fiction, poem etc
- Name of the piece
- Was this published previously (because some zines don’t like that)
- Where (so you don’t resubmit the same thing)
- Publication you are submitting to (name of the prestigious magazine)
- Via (as in submittable, email , oleada or post)
- Expected response date i.e. if they have a response time of 3 months you can put this date in and you will know when to think about chasing it up
- Current position – this one is key – it is a drop down that tells you if the piece is pending response, withdrawn, rejection or ACCEPTANCE YAY!)
- Comments or feedback received- to remind you how great you are!
- Publication date – for all your acceptances so you can promote when they are coming out!
- Resubmit to this journal – a little reminder in case of any red flags from your last experience
- Available to send out – don’t need to add anything here – it automatically tells you if a piece is available to send out again or not using the other info you have added – easy peasy!
- SIM SUB – just a reminder in case you are submitting to more than one publication at the same time – again just to keep track
And here is the link below
When you open the file it’s probably best to save a copy so you can start editing and adding your submissions yourself. Add what you need so you can focus on writing and not spreadsheets (urgh). I’ve tried to make it a bit more fun but if anything doesn’t make sense I will edit. I will add more tools and options as time goes on.